Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Every End is a Beginning

The Spring semester is almost over! I can't tell you how excited I am to have a summer vacation for the first time in about 10 years. I mean, I'll be working as much as possible, but probably not full time hours. And I will be preparing to move at the end of the summer, although at this point I've moved so many times, it's no big deal anymore.

So as I end the school year, I'm starting a new running program. I've started using Run for Pink's 10K Trainer Free. I like this one because the app alerts me when to walk and when to run, but also lets me run Nike+ for my music and GPS tracking. Today I started Week 2 and I am slow but comfortable. I haven't had any of the hip or knee problems I was so worried about and my lungs are holding up even though this allergy season has been really terrible. The app takes 14 weeks to work up to a 10K which gives me plenty of time to find a training plan for the half marathon to use afterwards. I tried Jeff Galloway but found I preferred the more structured programs with specific walking breaks as I was prone to go too hard at first and wear myself out too quickly. Any suggestions?

Only a handful of exams and essays stand between me and a summer full of awesome runs and relaxing, lazy days!

1 comment:

  1. RunMeter. It has a half marathon plan, verbal alerts for when to run/walk, customizable alerts for updates on things like pace, time or distance covered or remaining, and more. Plus you can control your music with it too. It stores info for each run if you want to review it later (like distance, time, pace, elevations) and you can publish it to various social media outlets if you are so inclined.
    http://www.abvio.com/runmeter/
    Best running app I've used. It probably has more features that I haven't used yet, too.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete