Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Rinse and Repeat

It's supposed to be my rest day. I'm not supposed to run this morning. I'm supposed to cuddle up with my puppy and wander the internet for hours. Part of me really wanted to do that. Part of me wanted to go out for a short walk/jog with the dog or with my mom. Part of me wanted to go out and run another 5K to teach it a lesson after the beating I took yesterday morning. Guess who won?

Yeah, I ran again. 5K in 36'14" (avg. 11'37" per mile). I just had to prove to myself that yesterday was a fluke, not a failure but a lesson. So, what went wrong yesterday that I could fix today? Well, I got too hot. Ok, start today a little earlier while it's still cool out, check. I was out of breath and working too hard by the end. Ok, start easier, take a walk break, hold back, check. I also reversed my route. Yesterday, the last 1.5k were mostly unshaded and the final 500 meters were uphill. Today I ran downhill and toward the shade, leaving the flatter, more shaded area for the second half of my run.

I'm really glad I did it. I feel like I learned my lesson from yesterday's run and I proved to myself that I can finish this run drama-free if I plan better and listen to my body. Also, even though I added a little walk break in the middle, my time was just a minute slower than yesterday. Tomorrow can be a rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment