Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ambivalent

Good things:

  • I'm currently getting A's in all six classes. I was actually pretty worried about this, it's been a long time since I've done this whole student thing and was afraid my brain was out of shape or something.
  • Both my dance teachers are kicking my butt and expecting a more professional performance level based on my previous employment. I tried explaining to them I was only ever a yellow-red but they either don't get it or don't care. However, I can tell my technique is improving because of their encouragement.
  • My waistline is shrinking and my flexibility is increasing, finally! My big goal this semester is to be able to bend over and (comfortably) put my palms to the floor without bending my knees. My huge goal is to do a split... that will probably have to wait though.
Bad things:
  • The sun is sleeping in later and later. I really don't like running in the dark, I don't have any reflective gear plus feel it's kind of unsafe.
  • I let myself skip my last two runs. I missed a 2 miler on Saturday and a 30 min run on Monday. Do I make up for these on rest days or just let them slide?
  • Something is not right inside me. I am completely exhausted lately! I'm sleeping the same amount of hours and not experiencing any other symptoms, no sore throat, congestion, nausea, depression... I cannot explain it. My mind is alert and functioning but my body is soooo tired, all the time. Walking to the kitchen to fill a glass of water makes me want to take a nap. I'm asleep on my feet after dance class. I've literally been sitting in the same chair in the corner of the library for 1.5 hours, dreading the time I have to get up and walk across campus for my next class. Is this what it's like to get old? What possibly fatal disease manifests as physical exhaustion? I'm afraid to ask WebMD, I'm sure they'll tell me it's cancer.
Ambivalent things:
  • I may end up having to add an extra semester here at the community college. I just found out that anatomy is a pre-requisite for physiology, so I may not be able to take them both in the spring as the college website suggested (I have a meeting with a counselor in a few weeks and I'm going to ask for a waiver to take them concurrently). I can't decide whether this is good or bad. I had fully intended to be able to transfer to a UC or CSU next fall. I'm anxious to finish my degree and get working. However, if I add an extra semester, I am adding space for some just-for-fun classes and one of my all time favorite professors is rumored to be un-retiring next year and I would LOVE to sing with him again.

Send encouraging vibes my way tomorrow morning, I really have to get out of bed and get my butt out the door, it will have been a week since my last run. 

2 comments:

  1. When I miss a run, I either swap it with a rest day (if it was a short run) or just redo the week (if it was a long one). Like a couple weeks ago I had a sinus infection that turned into a gross cough, so I just repeated the week since I ended up not doing a couple of the runs, including the long one.

    A lot of shirts and shorts have reflective fabric sewn in, maybe you could get some. Or, a roll of reflective tape you could just stick on. Anyone in the AF should have a reflective belt and they most likely hate it so they might just give it to you. I'd give you mine if you were here.

    Yay for being smart and bendy!

    -Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it wouldn't hurt to make up the runs on rest days. I do that if I miss a run.

    I hear you on the exhausted thing. I have been so tired and worn out and I don't know what the deal is! Maybe it is the weather or something, but I hope it gets better for us both!

    ReplyDelete