Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

BPB Issues

I decided to run 5K this morning instead of my 25 minutes for C25K, I have this compulsion to get in as many practices as I can before Sunday morning. It was my new fastest time at 35:24, however I may have been a little too ambitious. Did you know that if you feel cold and start shivering while exercising in the heat it's a bad thing? Well it is, as I learned during my tortuous days at Block Party Bash. I knew the moment I started to get chills, it would be a fight at step down over whether or not I was going to the hospital that day (I was always against it for some reason.) I always pushed myself anyway, I wanted to give a good show and I reassured myself that the wet towels and Powerade would fix it all. This morning, during the last 500 meters, I started to get chills. My first thought was "Push through it, you're not a wimp." Then I realized there were no spares waiting for me with towels and drinks, there were no athletic trainers or captains and no EMTs to strip me down and strap the heart monitor on yet again. It took some major will power to slow down, I wanted so badly to sprint through the last block, but I relaxed and finished slowly and safely. I did sit on the curb outside a neighbors house for a few minutes while I caught my breath, but there were no fuzzy black spots in front of my eyes, no tingling in my hands and feet, and most importantly no tears. I was always so terribly embarrassed to be insisting I was fine and at the same time involuntarily crying buckets. I actually asked for my Mommy once, mortifying! Man, that parade gave my major psychological issues, my very own version of PTSD!

After my run, I jumped in the pool for a few laps and some crunches (did you know you can work your abs in the pool?!). I love what all this running has done for my body, from the hips down. My mid-section is looking more and more flabby in comparison so I'm going to try to add in some cross-training on my non-running days and see what I can do about it. Also, the weather here has been pretty perfect for swimming so I want to take advantage while it lasts. Any suggestions for cold weather cross-training? I'll have to find something else soon, it's almost September!

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I am so proud of you... I am still one of those who who goes in spurts, do really good for awhile then get fat, then complain, then do it again. I think you rock! I will keep reading about your adventures. Kinda envious of your amitiousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, it is Betsy, I have just never done this before so I have no clue how to... Anonymous is the only way I know how to post this... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I don't think could stay this motivated if I were still there with all that snow and wind, haha!

      Delete