Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday America!

I'll be honest, this is one of my least favorite holidays. Don't think I'm un-American or anything, it's my dog. Stella has a terrible fear of loud noises, especially thunder and fireworks. It is totally heartbreaking to watch her run from room to room looking for a safe place, all the while panting and shaking and just completely freaking out. I've tried so many things and up till now nothing had worked. Earlier in the day my mom and I headed to the grocery store for last minute dinner goodies and I picked up a bottle of Melatonin pills. I had read they were useful in calming high anxiety dogs so I figured what the heck! Today was a running day and I wanted to tire her out as much as I could before the festivities, so we went out around 5, well in advance of any (illegal) neighborhood fireworks - or so I thought. It was hot, so our run was slow and short but I was happy to note she had little to no reaction to the few pops I heard while we were out. After dinner, I gave her one of the Melatonin pills and it seems to have really done the trick! She is not cured or anything, but rather than pacing, panting and shivering, she is lying (laying? I never really know) in the bathroom - the smallest and quietest room in the house - breathing a little heavily when anything explodes but definitely not as stressed as usual. I am so relieved! Stella may not be my child but she is damn close and I have hated watching her suffer so much over something so harmless, what a blessing to have finally found something to ease her stress.

Today was Week 2 Day 3, it was pretty hot out today - especially for a black pup - so we only ran 1.8mi at 15'47" per mile. Oh well, this run was for Stella anyway and the little bit we did seems to have really doe her some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment