Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Just Keep Swimming

Todays run was pretty uneventful. I am in Week 4 of C25K, doing 3/1.5, 5/2.5 jog/walk (btw those are minutes, not miles.) I'm really glad I have been tagging those extra jogs on or I wouldn't have been mentally prepared to jog for 5 minutes today. Instead I was able to tell myself it's no big deal, been there done that. I ran sans dog today, 2.3mi at 12'53". My jogs are around 10'30" but my walking really pulls down my average. I just can't keep up a fast pace and catch my breath at the same time, not yet anyway. However, the vast majority of todays workout was above 16' per mile and that is my goal.

When I got home from my run, I ripped off my shoes, grabbed a towel and jumped in the pool fully dressed. Totally amazing! The most perfect way to cool off and I was able to swim and stretch a bit before showering and becoming completely sedentary for the night. Also, I haven't been in a swimming pool in years and it felt so fantastic to be back in the water. I think I may make this my new routine!

2 comments:

  1. I would give anything for a convenient nonpublic pool. And I feel you on the 5 minute jog. It seems like FOREVER! Right now I am so slow because the heat is just so draining. I just know that at some point each step both feet are off the ground so I am officially "running". I'll get a smart phone next month so I can get all the cool apps that tell you how far you run and stuff. To keep my breathing steady I think "in-2-3-out-2-3" and I literally count the entire time. It sounds weird, but it keeps me calm and steady. I don't run to music either. My friend Kevin who will be running the NYC Marathon this year said to listen to your body instead of music. Keep up the great work! Oh and come see me. We can run in Central Park and be really cool eating cupcakes after. Muah, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is honestly a dream of mine to run in Central Park! I have a vacation fund I put money into whenever I can and visiting you is at the top of the priority list once that jar is full. Maybe someday you and I will run the NYC Marathon together...
      I can't run without music yet but I am totally focused on my breathing, matching it to my steps and to the beat. Sometimes that is all that gets me through!

      Delete